Hydraulic Emergency Brake Install (in line) DIY writeup

Angle mods and engine builds. Even how to drift or build a boat. Post it here.
whatrwedoingnow

Hydraulic Emergency Brake Install (in line) DIY writeup

Post by whatrwedoingnow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:22 am

yummy! did this for cs12.... so here you guys can have this too.

PROS OF HYDRO BRAKE

no stretching cables,
solution to those who cant use a e brake
longer life
consistent lock

CONS OF HYDRO E BRAKE

they cost money
you cant press the brake pedal while pulling the lever
you cant modulate lock

heres a quick writeup

tools needed.

FLARE WRENCH 10 MILL

use that wrench, and that type of wrench ONLY for removing those old brake lines. get a pair of good vice grips if you strip them out

i purchased a CNC series 412 staging brake. you have to call to order, shipped to me. [va] it was around 180 American dollars
http://www.cncbrakes.com/hsb.asp?grp=hs ... subseries=

why staging brake?
because i want a IN LINE setup, which means were using my stock rear calipers to lock my 15 inch steelies up mid drift

if your installing separate calipers (probally better, but cost more/more fabrication) youd need a hand brake, which cnc sells also. which just has 1 exiting port from the cylinder

heres the brake

its got 2 ports, comes with SAE fittings that have PIPE thread on them, do NOT try to hook up a flared brake line to the cylinder, itself, use the pipe thread adapters it comes with.

i dunno if you can buy metric ones, mine was SAE, 3/8th's by -24 3/16th brake line (which is our stock brake line size)

get 2 4 foot sections or so of brake line, and flare 2 SAE fittings onto the fitting on the cylinder, and make sure the line you buy has metric, (probally 1.0 mm) so the opposite end will go into the master

you can rent a double flare tool at your local autozone for free. just pay collateral and you get your money back afterwards.
if your a pussy and you do not want to learn how to flare brake lines, try to source a adapter.

results should look like this once its all done.

you will need a union fitting, i believe 1.0mm 3/16th line

and 2 4 foot sections of 3/16ths line, longer if you want, w/e you can always cut them to your desired length. INVERTED FLARE NOT BUBBLE FLARE

what your going to do, is disconnect the 3rd, or last brake line that goes into the master, add the union fitting, then place a line from the fitting, INTO the back of the hydro brake,

then run the FRONT (should be labeled) right back up into the master cylinder

picture for reference

heres how it looks in real life. i removed my dash because i have it held in by 2 zip ties. you can try to go around it

i bolted mine down on the trans tunnel. you can do w/e you want

bleed your brakes good

put everything back, and BAM go rip that shit down the freeway it 75 mph. its awesome
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
HerNameIsSway

Re: Hydraulic Emergency Brake Install (in line) DIY writeup

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:38 am

Awesome write-up!
whatrwedoingnow wrote:CONS OF HYDRO E BRAKE

they cost money
you cant press the brake pedal while pulling the lever
you cant modulate lock
Just curious...

How much trouble would it be to create a second brake system just for the Hydro e-brake?

As for "you can't modulate lock" do you mean you cannot change how much locking pressure to apply on the Hydro e-brake?
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am

I'm currently doing a separate system. But david's is def the best bang for buck option.

You can modulate lock. Unless staging brakes are just on or off?

A second system isn't too bad, you just need to fabricate on a second set of calipers. Which most of us can't do ourselves.
-Yoshi
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 am

This is S-chassis specific; if you drive something else, you need to figure out what your brake line diameter is. Otherwise, nice work!
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am

As for creating a second system, do you need a second set of brake booster and master cylinder, or can you hack into the original parts and still make it a separate system?
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 am

Wouldn't be a separate system if you hacked into the stock system :). For just 2 calipers you don't really need a booster. You can just run a master and a really long pole for leverage.
The whole point of this is so that nothing interferes with your stock braking capabilities. The in line system david has compromises a bit of stock brake feel if done wrong and doesn't like it when both master cylinders are in use. If you hijack any part of the stock system, you compromise it. Longer lines, pushing more fluid, needing more pressure, it all adds up. Plus if your hydro system goes to hell, your stock brakes go too.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 am

Ah ok, the system makes sense. David's write-up is well done, but the setup he made is risky. Gotcha.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 am

I wouldn't say risky. Lots of people run it. The big problem is when you brake AND ebrake at the same time.
-Yoshi
BerryZ
Slideways VIP

Post by BerryZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Nice write up david, definitely something to consider. Im no good with normal e-brakes.
-Zack
blue rexsti

Post by blue rexsti » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:07 pm

great david, now you can hook one up in my car!