Riley: 1UZ Shenanigans

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Riley: 1UZ Shenanigans

Post by Yoshi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:35 am

250 seems ALMOST but not locally competitive. Any plans for power adders or is that it?
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am

Well I'll stick with 250hp for now because that will take some getting used to.

Last time I did 1UZ build researching, I saw a few people post that the stock internals can handle up to 800 HP. I havent seen actual proof of that though, but I didnt look hard enough yet.

Walt Toyoda of NTO Motorsports has a twin turbo 1UZ AE86 with the same Ford 8.8 (and they built mine) and they are running 600HP. The Ford 8.8 should be able to handle at least 800 RWHP. They dont know the limit of an 8.8 yet but their rear end is holding up real well.

Long term plan is to stick with this motor as long as it can run, and run ITBs later (because they are sexy) and in a few years run a supercharged setup.

I'd like to mess with a VVT-i engine as they have more stock HP to start with, so I'll just play it by ear and see what opportunity comes up best later on.

From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1UZ-FE#1UZ-FE
In its standard, original trim with 10:1 compression, power output is 191 kW (256 hp), torque of 353 N·m (260 lb·ft).[1]
1UZ-FE

The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter connecting rods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195 kW (261 hp) and torque of 363 N·m (268 lb·ft).

In 1997, Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology was introduced along with a further compression ratio increase to 10.5:1,[1] bumping power and torque to 216 kW (290 hp) and 407 N·m (300 lb·ft). In the GS400 application, output was rated at 300 hp and 310 lb·ft of torque.
Sound deadening removal in progress.

Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Chen

Post by Chen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Yoshi wrote:250 seems ALMOST but not locally competitive. Any plans for power adders or is that it?
Also, you are forgetting that it is 250 to the crank, NOT the wheels. So effectively I'm guessing his motor is 215whp.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Is that giant gaping hole in the firewall factory? Wow that's huge lol!

Can you just swap out the vvti stuff on the non vvti block? Sounds like a nice upgrade short term down the road.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm

That's the steering column hole, I removed the boot.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Hit up Procrastination about getting some info on porting the intake - I remember talking to him about these engines at lunch one day. He was saying some racing teams found that the intake manifold (I think he said lower manifold but I can't remember) is ridiculously restrictive. Apparently porting the shit out of the manifolds, in just the right way, will net you around 300 wheel. Also, the person telling him about this claimed the factory computer could compensate for this, though we were both skeptical at the time. I'm sure he remembers better.

Regardless though, that's a lot of power in that little car, should break the rear end loose pretty easy.