Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Saika: 2013 Pro Drift Car

Post by Yoshi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 am

I never understood the horse mask
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:17 am

I was Lt Horse Dangle
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

oooh you have a large penis. gotcha.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:40 am

Had fun at 200 DoD!

Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:16 am

It was running like ass for a bit. What was the issue?
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:39 am

It still ran bad but after 2.5 hours of drifting and waiting in line, it finally could hold an idle at the end of the event. I have no clue what is going on but this car will be on the back burner for now since it won't start itself. Need to figure out why (maybe battery is finally too old? I bought this during the Sway era) and I plan to get the injectors cleaned at some point in the off season.
HerNameIsSway

Re: Saika: 2015 Survivor. Just Needs to Live Again...

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:13 pm

13 months later here is a new update.

Went to the 2014 DriftValley season opener and couldnt even accelerate past 30mph or so. Couldnt even get up to drift speed and put the car back on the trailer. It had no boost whatsoever. Decided to pull the engine to access the supercharger area and removed the supercharger. Left the engine sitting most of the year waiting for the correct pulley from a rare Japanese car for my bigger SC14 that would line up with my belt system but failed. Sat until November when I took it to Ivan's house where I had up to three buddies lending a hand for the weekend in the attempt to hit 100 DOD 2014.

We put the car back together including the original supercharger. Found the clutch is completely gone so we welded the pulley for now. After fighting with the wiring, we barely got the car to run on its own before it ran too rich and fouled up new plugs within 10 minutes. Installed an AEM Wideband to monitor richness, but the gauge only shows 10 to like 16 and it always shows 10, meaning it's probably running richer than 10 and cant show on the gauge.

We redesigned the intercooler piping because i used mostly straight pipe where I could and used 90 degree couplers. That was a bad idea because the couplers would suck in during vacuum badly. Now it has hard bends and straight couplers so there are virtually no couplers sucking in. Not sure if that actually made the car run worse because it never got better at this point.

We have discovered that the MAF was the incorrect one, I had the 4age one installed. Finally found the 4agze one and installed it and could never start it again. At this point it wasnt going to make 100 DoD. After running a compression and leakdown test and passed both, we have determined that my problem is narrowed down to two places: the wiring harness and the intercooler piping.

The wiring harness is 27 years old and has been modified at least twice and sat stored in a box for the past four years. It might be possible that we have brittle wires that broke when they should bend. I sent my engine and custom dash harnesses to a friend in Richmond during 100 DoD weekend to test my harness and verify all is good. He projected my harnesses return before Christmas, but unfortunately he was involved in a bad car accident where he was unable to work or look at my harness, so as of today I still am waiting to have it back.

The intercooler piping still has a leak somewhere as the car only seemed to want to cough up life after 3k RPMs. At this point I am just going to have the car sent to a professional to have my intercooler piping redesigned and welded so it is a 2-3 piece maximum welded system.

Fun Fact: I found a previous owner of this engine. He had this MR2 and about 140k miles he pulled the engine and did a full OEM rebuild around 2005-2006. Shortly after he got T-boned so he pulled the engine and put it in his AE86 drift car. This engine is probably at under 40k miles on the rebuild at this point, with me putting 17k on it when I had it in Sway in 2008-2009.

Finally found glass and paid $200 flat for purchase and install.

HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Got the harness back from a friend who tested it and fixed a few damaged/loose wires, then I went ahead and stripped off more dead end wires, like AC. It made the harness bundle smaller and simpler and easier to troubleshoot if needed later. Pulled out about 38 wires, and I know there's a few more to pull in the future.

The wires I removed.

98% completely installed under the dash, just a few more buttoning up in some places. Need to finish the engine area wiring install and then more testing to make sure everything is working the way it should, then I have to pull the harness again to wrap it up to protect the wires.

Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:23 am

I wonder why it stopped working. I've been watching the progress via FB. Sounds very annoying. On any other chassis, I'd say get a new harness but that doesn't seem to be a cheap option. Your friend just tested the wiring and fixed what was broken? Sounds simple enough. Stripping wires scares me. I guess it isn't so bad with the harness out of the car. I'm always worried to cut wires that are needed by other systems. Maybe that AC power also tripped a relay for your coil pack for some ungodly reason?!
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 pm

I am the worst with understanding wiring and wiring diagrams. My friend found two damaged wires and fixed them, but they may be wires I'm not using for the setup anyway. All I did was trace the wires to find it cut or unplugged on the other end, then i depinned it from the plug. Same for the fuses in the fuse panel, I would find a wire from a plug to one end of the fuse, then a wire from the other end of the fuse leading nowhere (cut) then I remove that dead end wire. There's quite a few more wires I could pull but I left them there for now so I can see what was already removed from the engine and if it doesnt plug in after the car starts up and runs fine, I'll strip them off later.

Before I pulled the harness out of the car, I checked for plugs that go nowhere and labeled them to pull out of the system. While stripping wires, I even found some with plugs cut off and the wires wrapped and hidden in the bundle with electrical tape.

This plug was loaded with mostly dead end wires. Now it is down to 7 that are still connected on both ends, whether or not they are actually used.

This is the junction block my harness uses (sits in the MR2 engine bay that has needed wires, but condensed that even more) but I cant find a fully descriptive diagram so this is all i can work off of for now. I condensed it to two fuses and a manual cold start for now.