Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
Yoshi
Site Admin
Re: Saika: 2012 Track Slut

Post by Yoshi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Anyway. Whats the plan then? It's possible for you to rebuild the diff in time, but you would have to learn how to shim and measure lash/pinion depth real quick.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I dont really know right now. I'm nervous about taking my open diff rear end apart and seeing what I can throw back together. I'm taking Saika to Summit Point Thursday and dropping her off so I can get a ride home and drive the pit truck to the track Saturday morning. I have 0 experience with diff work, so I dont know about torque specs and measurements and finding how to put the rear end together and making it all work nice.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Yoshi wrote:Anyway. Whats the plan then? It's possible for you to rebuild the diff in time, but you would have to learn how to shim and measure lash/pinion depth real quick.
He'd need a solid pinion spacer with alignment shims overnighted by Weir Performance for this to happen; the lead time on those parts from the dealer is likely a week since it'd probably be coming from one of the warehouses in Torrance/Gardena, CA. It takes a fair amount of time to shim the diff and get the correct alignment, even if you use the paint method to check pinion depth rather than using a dial gauge. There are walkthroughs on Club4AG and most forums for anything with a solid rear axle on how to do this, but it's not worth rushing through since he's never done it before.
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:29 pm

he could always toss it together, pray, then rebuild it right after this weekend. But you do run the risk of instagibbing the diff.
-Yoshi
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:30 pm

The stock spacer is a one-time use part; he'd have to find and use a fair amount of shims to get it all to line up correctly if he took that route. Not good practice, but possible.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:38 pm

My options are:

1- Throw whatever I have together, even if it's not perfect, just so I can drift LSD for the 2-day event, risk breaking whatever I throw together. It can break on my drive to the track, or halfway through the event, or never. I may even risk not being able to put the rear end back together before the event if I hit a few snags, then I would miss the event entirely.

2- Drift open diff for the 2-day event (although my drifting will not turn out awesome) and still have the ability to drive back home and continue to daily it after the event. Take my time rebuilding this LSD without an upcoming event date deadline riding my back.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:22 pm

I drifted my E46 pretty well with it's open diff. It's a safer bet. Or just sit out this one and sit with other ppl to learn someone else's style.
-Yoshi
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:32 pm

pick number two and do a drift/grip.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Gonna quit messing with the car before drift day, I'll give open diff a shot.
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 am

After driving your car, I am amazed with how well you can do considering trying to drive it is like giving it inputs by playing a game of telephone with a bunch of people between you and the car. IMHO your clutch slave cylinder is going to poop soon, and your brakes... when Sway's are better, that's terrible.

On the more positive side of life, the car has tremendous room for improvement.