Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
whatrwedoingnow
Re: Saika: 2012 Track Slut

Post by whatrwedoingnow » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 am

lower the rear a 1/2 inch
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:49 am

I'm maxxed out. Can't go any lower.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
whatrwedoingnow

Post by whatrwedoingnow » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:35 pm

ew, if you cant go lower, just use it as a excuse for when you squat while drifting it evens out. thats how i put it
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:06 pm

What?
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:41 pm

I took Sway's LSD axle completely apart and all I can say is WOW. No, not the wow that you're thinking of. The pinion drive gear is totally torn one side, it looks like you're eating one side of the corn on the cob. The splines are still there on the other side, just looks like ot worn thin, but not short. This would explain the driveshaft movement when the car sits still.

The diff looks totally fine. All of the bearings are loose, I mean it's got 266k miles on them. The axles and its splines look amazing! I expected some kind of wear and tear on them but I dont see anything! The spline lines are straight.

I am going to give the axle parts a run through the parts cleaner and take pics tomorrow. I'm tempted to find bearings and used/spare pinion drive and pinion seals and see what I can do about throwing the rear end back together just so I can drift with an LSD this weekend.

Question for people that can answer: Can I just go ahead and throw my LSD pumpkin in my open diff rear end and use the pinion drive gear that came with my open diff rear end? Open diff rear end in its entirety has 190k miles while the LSD looks fine.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 pm

You'd have to swap the pinion and ring gear. Basically just swap the lsd unit. Even then, you'd have to check clearances and lash. You might have to shim.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Sadly the LSD pinion gear is sheared, so I cant swap it and use the open diff's pinion gear. I would still need to order replacement bearings and shims to make the final adjustments, so that's pretty much going down the buy-an-LSD-rebuild-kit route.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm lost. Use the open diff's pinion and ring gear, swap just the lsd unit itself. Everything else needs to stay open diff.
-Yoshi
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Yoshi wrote:I'm lost. Use the open diff's pinion and ring gear, swap just the lsd unit itself. Everything else needs to stay open diff.
He needs to use his OEM LSD axles with the OEM LSD, too, but you're otherwise correct.

Also, stop deleting my comment on facebook saying the same thing; you're acting like a baby.
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:13 pm

pr0craztinazn wrote:Also, stop deleting my comment on facebook saying the same thing; you're acting like a baby.
My status was pretty much a "parts wanted" post. You posted and I quote: "This makes no sense" as your comment, so it makes sense to delete it, as your post made no sense and wasnt exactly relevant to my status, especially if you didnt mention what confused you. Therefore, I have no way to respond to that comment and I did not want the comments thread to go off topic, because I'm trying to see if I actually have a chance to get all the parts I need to throw the rear end back together just so I can drift on it at least for the last time.

You, sir, need to stop blaming me for every little thing and grow up. If you have a problem with me, then go ahead and see me in person. Your e-police tactics and whiny posts are unnecessary.

Pics from my cell phone.