Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
blue rexsti
Re: Saika: 2012 Track Slut

Post by blue rexsti » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 am

sorry to hear she can't make the upcoming events.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 am

Most pointless upgrade at this point, given the current circumstances... >_<

Ebrake drift knob.

I got this in time for Hyperfest and tomorrow's ODS event. I guess I'll have to wait to try it out later.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Tonight I cut and yanked out all of the mangled lines. The driveshaft bearing is completely toast and the fact that the driveshaft wrapped the lines around it, it did not treat Sway's fuel pickup lines very well, so the risk of damaging the pickup line has increased. I have to keep a close eye on that :-(

I dropped the tank and removed the rear bumper to look at the rust. I will be seeing a friend soon about getting a driveshaft and picking up a more solid bumper, if possible.

Tomorrow morning I'll be picking up some fuel and brake lines to bend and I will be unable to work on the car for at least a week, because my neighbor needs his lift since his car has issues also. :-(

The next drift event is July 31-August 1, I am looking forward to drift then. I am going to try to take advantage of this downtime that I have been so afraid to do since March, since I love to drive this car and:

- Drop the transmission to replace the slave cylinder
- Fix the snapped slave cylinder mount bolt into the tranny
- Paint the tranny
- Replace rear main seal
- Remove crossmember and bang out the damage
- Remove oil pan and bang out the ding
- Remove entire PS system and throw in the manual rack
- Alignment

I did pick up a '79 Supra rear end last week, so depending on what's going to happen with Sway's rear end still installed in Saika, I will need to hop to it and start:

- Sandblasting
- Cut/reposition/weld 4 link mounts
- Paint
- Find LSD and replace Open diff.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
J_O_E

Post by J_O_E » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 pm

painting the trans and knocking out dings sounds like a waste of time. Throw that rear in, replace the seals and all that junk and man up and do it on the ground right now. Use David and Ryan Ward as inspiration. go now
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Painting the tranny a waste of time? Sure, but I'll be pressure washing the tranny, drilling out the broken bolt, tapping in new threads, and slap some paint on for schitz and giggles.

Banging out the oil pan? You havent seen the pan, it's a MUST.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 am

Take your time and do it right imo. keep going!
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:31 am

Will do sir! That's why I made that list. Ass-hauling will commence!
whatrwedoingnow

Post by whatrwedoingnow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 pm

energy0uth wrote: Use David and Ryan Ward as inspiration. go now

do the same motor swap as them!
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
J_O_E

Post by J_O_E » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I was saying don't waste time or money on paint. If it needs the dent fixed than do your thing.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Current update:

I picked up some parts I needed, which is about $70 for the fuel/brake lines. They were short 8ft of one fuel line, so I have to wait to pick that up Tuesday. I still need to pick up a driveshaft somewhere...

Once I get the car running again and hopefully get the SR20 sold, I'll throw that money towards a machine shop to modify the Supra axle mounts so I can drop that into Saika quickly.

This is why I'd like to look for a new bumper...