Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
HerNameIsSway

Saika: 2019, Better Drivetrain

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 am

I am continuing this build thread from the old forum: http://www.slidewaysonline.com/forum3.0 ... =30&t=5915

I have been hauling ass my past 2 days off, trying to get her all sexy and ready for Hyperfest this weekend.

I painted the sideskirts and installed them. They hide the missing rocker panel sections very well!

I lowered the rear suspension all the way, only 7/8" left of adjustment brought down to 0" so I know you guys love it!

Before and after paint:

For schitz and geegles, I mounted Jon's wheels on my car. I am buying the bronze 7-spoke pair and OEM Nissan black 7-spoke pair. I'm NOT keeping the 6-spoke 17s, lol. The wheels I am keeping will get the Royal Swayton treatment (sandblast and paint).

Sideskirts!

Then I headed to Front Royal to pick up my buddy 240Zac, and halfway there, the driveshaft sheared and grabbed the fuel lines and brake line. I got a buddy to tow me home.

Like my stance?

It was dumping/siphoning 7 gallons of fuel out of that thing on the side of the interstate, I had nothing to clamp it shut. Quickest way to drain $20, lol, although I have bigger things to worry about.

Unfortunately, after all that work I have done, Saika can't make Hyperfest, the one event I have been looking forward to all year! She'll also miss next week's ODS event.
Last edited by HerNameIsSway on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Saika: 2012 Track Slut

Post by Yoshi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:32 am

I like the black rims with the polished lip best.

damn. never thought i'd see a rolla kill a drive shaft lol.
-Yoshi
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:39 am

Something seemed to cause binding and the driveshaft fatigued; your u-joint and center support bearing possibly were unhappy with the rear being lowered so much. Add your dying diff to the mix and your car picked a really interesting point to fail at.
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 am

I checked the u-joints, they all feel very free, so there's no tension in the joints. I am guessing that the axle had a hiccup and caused the driveshaft (designed to be the weakest point of the drivetrain, the first part to give way) to fail. I put the car on the lift and spun what's left of the driveshaft, and then each wheel by hand in each direction, so there is nothing seized. If the diff blew/broke free, It would have caused my engine to quickly redline, but there was no change in the RPMs.

The driveshaft broke in the rear half of the 2-piece driveshaft, so that seems to rule out any transmission issues.

Also, if your driveshaft has a nick or ding, It would create a stress point on the driveshaft and cause it to fail just like a nick in a plate of glass. I did not run over anything on the interstate, but now that I think of it, there was a shredded tire on the right lane that I was driving on and there was someone on the left lane right next to me, so I kept my speed and drove off the road over the rumble strips to go around it smoothly and casually. This happened no more than 3 miles before the driveshaft failure. I wonder if the extra lowness and stiffer rear caused some ugly vibrations and upset the drivetrain somehow? The rumble strips are ALWAYS nasty to touch.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
BerryZ
Slideways VIP

Post by BerryZ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 pm

That's no good :/ You still going to go to hyperfest?
-Zack
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Yes.
crzsteveo

Post by crzsteveo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:44 pm

dude that sucks that ur driveshaft broke.....like i dont even see how it could of....i understand all the binding
and shit but dam that must had some serious force behind it if it just went pop
whatrwedoingnow

Post by whatrwedoingnow » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:10 pm

my sell brake lines at autozone.there cheap i get discount
1jzgte 1984 200sx!
N0VA_zEnKI

Post by N0VA_zEnKI » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 am

oh my goodness man. sorry that went down. but glad you had fun testing out all my drift spares! haha. good to know these wheels are going to a good cause!

oh, and i hope Zac got a ride still somehow!
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 am

Yeah, my friend brought his truck and picked up the car and my mom followed him and gave me her minivan so I could get Zac... an hour late, lol.