AE92: The Wrong Wheel Drive Project

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
HerNameIsSway
AE92: The Wrong Wheel Drive Project

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:59 am

This project started off simply because I'm a hoarder and pick up cars that are stupid low in price.

This is the next gen Corolla after the AE86, the AE92, which is only FWD from that point on (1988- present).

In August 2014, A friend contacted me and asked if I want to pick it up. The car sat for 5 years at the owner's mother's house and the owner moved out of state and never touched it. The timing belt snapped and the owner replaced it. Upon assembling it again, the car would never fire it up. He checked fuses, wiring, everything and then he just gave up. HOA contacted the mother and said the car needed to go. It was sitting under a tree in her yard within view from the street. For $100 and "a free tow away" i picked it up and took it home. This car has the 4age so I'm familiar with it. After some troubleshooting of my own, I found that it fired right up after replacing the fuel pump with a $45 Walbro 255.

Here's the pressure wash difference, 5 years of grime.

Then I picked up some Lorbers brought in from Japan. 195/50s on 15x7s, pretty sweet. Rally status.

After having only spent $145 total on the car (not counting gas for towing and replacing a few light bulbs and wipers) I got the car tagged and drove it to town for a state inspection. I topped the tank off with fresh gas (after draining out all the old gas during pump install) then got back on the road. The car died with no warning a half mile away from the shop. Towed the car home and with help from a friend we discovered that the exhaust valves stuck open. Immediate loss of compression on the road was the result.

I spent a couple of short nights with a flashlight outside in the dark (garage was full) disconnecting components under the hood to prep for a head removal. In a span of two weeks, I picked up another AE92 shell for $200 and removed the following:

-Ricer red steering wheel
-D2 coilovers
-Dual core radiator
-Complete JDM Fujitsobo exhaust
-Engine harness
-Nicer interior

I resold the shell (for $200) because it was too rusty to salvage anything else. At this point I got all the parts I mentioned for free, so that leaves the car sitting at $145 budget so far.

Kneeling before the God of Low. Just kidding, they were checking out the new tow truck.

Next time i touched the car was two weeks later when I was ready to load it on the trailer and move it to the garage. I installed a clutch bypass switch so I could move the car onto the trailer by using the starter while in gear. Once I turned the key on, the headlights lit up. Very strange, considering that I had already removed the headlight assemblies and they were in the trunk.

I realized that the car caught on fire and I popped the hood and blanketed everything with a fire extinguisher. Turns out I had forgotten that I removed the fuel rail and injectors and the spark plug wires. When I turned the key on, the fuel pump dumped fuel on the intake manifold and wiring harness and the igniter being 6 inches away from the open fuel line, threw down some sparks. I had an intense fire on only a small 4 inch section on the intake manifold while the harness was burning up. After the "dust died down" my engine bay was completely drenched with extinguisher residue and the only damage was a section of the wiring harness, local hoses melting, and an 8" circle of burned off paint on the hood.

Before I attempted to move the car, I was frustrated with the head removal while in the bay. It was on the way to the garage to remove the whole engine/transaxle assembly. Since I got it all out Feb 2015, I power washed the bay to clean off most of the mess.

Where the car was sitting

You can see the stuck exhaust valves. So much carbon buildup and chunks breaking loose and causing problems.

Fast forward to almost a year later with the new home (December 2015), now that the Rising Sun is running, I decided the AE92 needs to be finished. With the help of a few friends, we put on a fresh head and head gasket and I painted the engine block some ricer FWD color. Turns out it doesnt look ricer enough, so apparently I have a gift.

List of things remaining to do. Half of the list has already been done by now.

Here's an old pic of the "before and after" of wheels and coilovers.

Total spent to date (outside of typical fluids/spark plugs/maintenance items)

Car/tow/title: $100
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump: $45
Spare head from storage tested and decked: ~$45
Valve stem seals: ~$15
Head gasket: $45
Radiator, exhaust, interior, harness, coilovers: FREE

Total car budget: $250

The car is still a work in progress while I try to make time for it over the winter holidays. I was hoping to make it to January 10 autocross at Summit Point, but that's really pushing it. Next event is February 7.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: AE92: The Wrong Wheel Drive Project

Post by Yoshi » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:08 pm

The paint on the hood was so nice too..
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm most likely covering it with some ghost color sticker over the damage instead of retouching/repainting the hood.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Tamber

Post by Tamber » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Whoo, wrong-wheel-drive club represent?