Re: Dorifto Truckasaurus: Time to Slam

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
HerNameIsSway
Re: Dorifto Truckasaurus: Time to Slam

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 pm

This is continuing from my old build thread: http://www.slidewaysonline.com/forum3.0 ... =30&t=3634

1976 Dodge D100 1/2 ton
86k original miles
318 CI Big Block
RWD open diff

It's been a fun truck that's been in the family since my grandfather bought it brand new and anything I do to the truck is considered an investment. This truck has sentimental values and plenty of potential.

I am currently going through the Trailerdactyl project with Truckasaurus, so I can trailer Saika to drift events.

I'm currently researching Class III tow hitches to bolt on and looking up wiring harnesses for the trailer and looking for a 5k trailer to purchase.

This truck is capable of towing, but only light stuff. The engine is a bit too underpowered for this stuff, but if I stick to flat streets, it'll be decent. Most of these D100 trucks have 360 or 440 CIs in them (they also came in 318s and slant 6 200-something CI >_< ) and that's something I am consider upgrading when absolutely necessary, but that's another expensive project for later.

Anyone know anyone selling a 5k trailer? :-D
Last edited by HerNameIsSway on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
J_O_E

Re: Dorifto Truckasaurus: Trailerdactyl Stage

Post by J_O_E » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I have come across a few on craigslist recently I posted up for others locally. I'll keep my eyes open.
pr0craztinazn

Post by pr0craztinazn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 am

Some quick notes:
- 318ci = 5.2L; it's actually a small block
- 5k is your max with the Class III hitch
- Your truck was rated for 245lbs/ft of torque at the flywheel with no accessories... you'll be modding the 318 fairly soon if you want to go faster than 20mph through the Appalachians to Summit.
'03 Yamaha R6 - Resting in pieces
'87 BMW 325 - It works, but I'm ready to move on
'93 Mazda Miata - Rallycross ahoy
'18 Ford Fiesta ST - Maggie is keeping the party going
'02 BMW 330i - SpookE new drift car
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:25 pm

5k max but what holds it back? Brakes or the motor/tranny?
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Only problem is that the truck is a 1/2 ton chassis, so towing is a capability, but 3/4 ton trucks are just more well prepped for towing.

The trailers I have been looking at are 7k max capability so it is highly likely that I'm going for that. For what the truck would ONLY need to tow is my race car and tools, so I'm looking at 5k max for that (2500lb car plus 1000lb in tools, tires, parts, etc). If I need to go up to Class 4, I'm down for that.
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:21 am

Trailer has been ordered and should be getting it by the end of this month.

I installed the tow hitch yesterday!

The hitch has 9.5" of ground clearance! It looks LOW but I have never seen another Dodge truck this low, lol. This is something I am going to have to watch for during mountain drives and switching to driveways.

I'll be looking at electrical stuff today, I probably should replace all wiring from the cab and back, because not all of it works, fittings are rusty, and everything it just simply 35 years old.
J_O_E

Post by J_O_E » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 am

Yea, that's going to get ripped off.
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 am

once you hook up a trailer to that thing, it's gonna squat a lot while you're accelerating. you may wanna see about raising that puppy back up if you are really gonna tow with it.
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 am

I'm already researching airbags. I'm looking to spend up to $300 for those. I'm going to focus on getting the wiring done once I get the trailer delivered and then drive it a bit and check on what needs addressed, like steering, shocks, and air bags, etc...
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:50 am

like you said, you don't usually see trucks like yours sitting that low. the springs (probably leaf since it's old) may have sagged over all those years. you might be able to find replacement/junkyard springs for cheaper than an air bag system!