Dexter build thread

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
dajemma
Re: Dexter build thread

Post by dajemma » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Yoshi wrote:The car drives like how I've always dreamed my car SHOULD drive.
Now THAT is great to hear! :)
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:28 am

IMO ditch the borla muffler, go to autozone or whatever and get the quietest muffler they offer in 3". Then buy yourself an electric cutout. It really is the best of both worlds... quiet when you need it to be, loud as fuck when you want it to be. They're seriously awesome :)

No idea why more people don't use them, but I assume it has something to do with their priceyness :?:

Also, for whatever reason, most of the youtube videos I've seen showing off e-cutouts are dudes that have loud mufflers to begin with... I figure what's the point? In any case you'll see the fantastic difference with my car on Saturday
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm

The system is 4 inch though. I'm too lazy to mess with it anymore. I'm just going to slap on some silencers and deal with the exhaust when I have more money.
-Yoshi
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 pm

I mocked up some temp exhaust silencers today since I actually had some time and didn't mind welding. Course now the damn key won't go into the start position! It goes to "run" but not start. WTF? Guess I have to do the push button start mod.
-Yoshi
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Found out how to pull the tumbler and start it with a screw driver lol. The silencer made the exhaust MUCH quieter. I'm going to make at least 1 more batch of silencers and I want to see what makes the biggest difference. I have a decibel meter coming in tomorrow so I can check.
-Yoshi
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 am

Yoshi wrote:start it with a screw driver
lol sounds like a good "well, don't mind me officer" opportunity waiting to happen :)

Is it one of those silencer 'cones'? can't you drill some holes and bolt those suckers in? Hope it's not too restrictive if you welded it and subsequently can't remove it... easily.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:24 am

Yep! I made them 2 1/4". Which has the upper bounds of what my car put down on the dyno (http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to ... -diameter/)

It probably kills some power but I can always unbolt it for the track. I'm also gonna see what a turn down does.
-Yoshi
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Yeah I've seen that site before, had me a little worried while I was doing my exhaust - but - I think their numbers are a bit conservative for the single pipes. My butt dyno says way more than 230 wheel. I'm sure you'll be fine with your 4" pipe, even with the minor restrictions :)

I will say though - with my cutout closed, there's a very noticeable difference in top end power after about... 4-4.5k rpms or so.
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 pm

jalopi wrote:Is it one of those silencer 'cones'? can't you drill some holes and bolt those suckers in? Hope it's not too restrictive if you welded it and subsequently can't remove it... easily.
Yeah this is tough, it has to fit well but not too tightly . . . also should be made of the same material as the exhaust, so they expand/contract at the same rate. Otherwise they will warp.

I think I might have also put some oil on the place where the two pipes meet just to make sure it didn't get too dry and stick in there. But that might be a bad idea if it gets real hot . . . my little four-banger wasn't so bad :)
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 am

well cutting down from dual 3 to dual 2.25 didn't really seem to kill any noise lol.
-Yoshi