Dexter build thread

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
dajemma
Re: Dexter build thread

Post by dajemma » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, this is all sorts of good. I like it. Car is home, you can start doing stuff with it.

Try to get the exhaust to be quiet, but not too quiet . . . know what I mean? When you get on it, it should roar.

Also, what's up with the power drain? That's weird.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 am

The drain is pretty simple actually. Fuse 21 is for the interior lights. Trunk/cabin interior. I have the cabin ones removed but maybe the wires are touching somewhere. I was also testing the power from the trunk but that light hasn't worked in years. So for now, I can just yank that and be fine.

28 is the cig lighter. Which, I tapped for a number of things that I have since removed. I guess not good enough. Again, unplug, hunky dory for now.

Fuse 21 will be a bitch to fix. 28 should be easy.
-Yoshi
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 am

Snow ruined any chances of getting my exhaust parts yesterday. On the bright side, I got the front fenders bolted down. Man that's going to take a lot of work. I also managed to remount the gas pedal higher. Sikky made a nice bracket that fits in the factory location mounting points. It was just uber low.

So I welded on some extra material and redrilled the holes about 2 inches higher.

I also learned how to shift the damn thing. Reverse just requires a donkey punch. The rest is pretty easy.
-Yoshi
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

cool. drive it around a lot till shifting it is second nature, it might take a while to get used to.

so, what we need now is a video of this car on a secluded, unmonitored road doing its thing. Can you make this happen?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 am

Because there are so many near me :(
-Yoshi
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Well I'm at least making some kind of progress. Drove by a cop and he didn't yank me. Which is nice. There was no space under the car for the big ass muffler I wanted and no real way to fit either of the borla XS mufflers in the space given. As a concession, I just welded the 4 inch to dual 3 as a single muffler in the back. The car is still fairly loud but I didn't get too many stares driving around my neighborhood. I'm thinking of buying/making some kind of silencer inserts for the time being. One day I'll pay to have the damn thing done properly. Today is not that day.

I'll sit on that. Next step is to get it past safety. So many things aren't working it's not even funny. Hopefully putting the interior back in will quiet stuff down some more.

Here's a print out of the work I have to do to get the car past safety.

Nothing is really that bad. Well minus the part where it says "inspect for altered emissions system". Riiiiight. I'm going to methodically go down this list and fix things. Hopefully making the car more dailyable in the process. My cluster flopping around is annoying. I don't think a working tach is necessary to pass safety. But the reverse light does need to work.
-Yoshi
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 am

Car looks cool, glad to see it on the road again. How does it feel driving around? It must be pretty different from before.

If it doesn't draw attention right away, that's good!

Cool man, I'm super stoked to see this car in person. Soon!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 am

I posted the pix to SW so you could see them in china land lol.

The car drives like how I've always dreamed my car SHOULD drive. I remember when I had my M20 turbo, I felt the power everywhere. This is similar but more of it. Constant pull from tip in to full throttle. Very predictable and easier to manage. I hated the turbo punch.

The day to day stuff is all the same. Fits like a glove. Though, getting into the other E30 immediately after produces hilarious results. I love this car now.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

What's under the highlighter "LOL" ?
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 pm

The emissions section.
-Yoshi