Dexter build thread

What are you building? Let's see your progress!
Yoshi
Site Admin
Re: Dexter build thread

Post by Yoshi » Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Been kinda busy with FD and all. Managed to get some time wrenching on the car. Got the kit installed. Hit one snag with the ackerman setting thing. The welds on it bent somehow. So I need to take the adapter off and clean it up. I did a basic alignment on it. Started off with 2 inches toe in. Got it just a hair under a quarter inch toe in. I usually like 0 but we'll see how this turns out.

The angle feels weird. The steering feels much more direct and twitchy. Mainly because a small movement equates to a large amount movement in the wheel itself. Also, near lock, it takes a ton more effort. But I guess with angles and such, that makes sense. I have no real clearance issues except hitting the front bumper on the passenger's side. Which is weird. That wheel seems farther forward in the wheel well. Weird.

Anywho, gonna redo that ackerman setting, tighten things down, and put some miles on it. Probably install that stereo soon when I have time. W00t!
-Yoshi
TKT-GETR

Post by TKT-GETR » Fri May 16, 2014 12:54 pm

I love this build. Keep up the good work and keep keeping us posted. :)
dajemma

Post by dajemma » Fri May 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Yoshi wrote: I have no real clearance issues except hitting the front bumper on the passenger's side. Which is weird. That wheel seems farther forward in the wheel well. Weird.
That is actually a good thing. With that, you have more caster, and more caster usually gives you more control. If it's a significant increase, it will actually lengthen the wheelbase of your car by a few CMs. That can be good too . . . but it definitely feels different.

On my old car, I had to add tension control rods to get that effect. Sounds like you already got it with this kit.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Sat May 17, 2014 8:20 am

Oh yea. kinda. Well I have camber/caster plates and I have control arm bushings that also increase caster. The issue is that the wheel touches the bumper ONLY on the passenger's side but not the driver's. But I also think that might be the front bumper being off from the accident the car was in from the PO.
-Yoshi
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Mon May 26, 2014 5:59 pm

So today was 99% good news. I drove the car to work and back today. Something new I picked up was to sharpie all the nuts that I touch so that I can visually inspect to see if they have loosened. Which is a good thing because I felt a shimmy on my way to work, pulled over, and found a tie rod nut migrating. I also found a giant pot hole in a parking lot on my way to get lunch while I was trying to avoid speed bumps <_<.

LS2 temps like to sit around 97C (206F) if I'm in traffic at a light for a REALLY long time. Makes me nervous but apparently the motor is fine there.

A shot from my new go pro mounting location. I measured -6 degrees of camber per side. That's WITH the camber plates flipped and set to max positive camber.

I also decided to let the clutch out and see what some revs could do. Even with a small burn out, I could tell the smooth power curve difference from the turbo S52. I was not meaning to make lines that long. oh well. :)

The exhaust isn't super loud so I don't turn too many heads just piddling around. I definitely did get lots of stares though.

There's a vibration at 60mph that's probably unbalanced tires but I'm too lazy to balance them as they are just going to get chewed up on track. Maybe I should get a separate set of rims for day to day activities.
-Yoshi
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Mon May 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Damn dude that's a lot of camber. What were your readings with the e46 arms? My guesstimate on my setup is like, -3~4* with the camber plates at full positive.

Also, while the temps are technically high, it's only by a few degrees; from what I remember most GMs run at around 195ish. Also, it was in the high 80's today, so all things considered it isn't that bad.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 am

I think it was similar with the E46 arms but I didn't have the plates flipped. Flipping them gave me much more adjustment.

As long as the temps can stick steady. I think I'm ok.
-Yoshi
HerNameIsSway

Post by HerNameIsSway » Tue May 27, 2014 10:45 am

Looking good man!
Sway is like a race horse; if you push it sometimes, it's ok, but if you are hard on it all the time, then it's going to break its ankle and then you will have to shoot it.
jalopi

Post by jalopi » Tue May 27, 2014 3:44 pm

As long as you've got a kick ass fan you'll probably be fine. How thick is the core on your rad? 2" or so? It'll probably be ok.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Post by Yoshi » Tue May 27, 2014 7:29 pm

2 or 3 inches. It's a race radiator with a huge ass fan.
-Yoshi